I\’ve finished a couple of dishcloths.
First, I finished the January mid-month KAL. I ran out of yarn about 4 rows from the end and had in my stash another ball of the same color but a different dye lot. It looked the same to me (and since it\’s only a dishcloth) I figured it wouldn\’t matter.
Well, it does.
You can\’t tell so much in this picture (if you look really closely you can somewhat tell that the top rows are different), but when I dampened the cloth for a light blocking, it was glaringly apparent. Thank goodness it\’s just a dishcloth for me and not a gift to give away.
I was a bit disappointed by this cloth. I was super excited to try out a cable pattern — my first ever. After I got a few rows into it, I realized it wasn\’t a \”traditional\” cable pattern. One side of each cable is done in a garter stitich while the other side is stockinette. It really doesn\’t make the cables \”pop\” too well.
So, I took it upon myself to try again. I designed this cloth and knit it up today. It\’s just a simple three cable design like the KAL, but without the garter stitch. And I changed the width of the cables. I felt that crossing over four stitches was pulling at the cotton too hard. So I dropped it down to three. I just finished it tonight and didn\’t even block it a bit, but it still looks pretty good.
Not too bad for my first attempt at \”real\” cables and I didn\’t even have a pattern. I\’m really pleased and I love how easy cables are. It makes me feel like an experienced knitter. 🙂
The next two pictures are my latest patterns that I\’ve finished for Designs by Emily. I meant to upload them the other day but I forgot. In keeping with the \”Winter Theme\” they are a pair of mittens and a winter hat.